Hang On To Your Ego
Guitar Tab: http://www.frankblack.net/tabs/song.asp?song=fb-hangontoyourego
I know so many people who think they can do it alone
They isolate their heads and stay in the city zone
But what can you tell them?
What can you say that won't make them defensive? So...
Hang on to your ego
Hang on but I know that you’re gonna lose the fight
They come home like they’re peaceful
But inside they’re so uptight
They trip through the day and waste all their thoughts at night.
But how can I say it?
How can I come home when I know I’m guilty?
- "Hang On To Your Ego" is the original, alternate version to the song "I Know There's An Answer," which contains slightly alternate lyrics. Oddly enough, the other Beach Boys (besides Brian Wilson) did not like the original version, as it contains a rather obscure drug reference. It is said that when one takes too much acid, they lose their ego (see definition).
- The original "Hang On To Your Ego" was never formally released until 1990, when Pet Sounds was remastered (for the first of many times) on CD. It appeared as a bonus track.
- While with the Pixies, Black Francis recorded a (more rockin) four-track demo of this song for a BBC session. It was never officially released, but is available on bootlegs (such as Rough Diamonds)
(Frank) explains he included the song because it reeks of class. "Classy band. Classy guy, Brian Wilson. Classy song. It's called 'Hang On To Your Ego.' It doesn't get much crasser and cool than that. It's like recording a song called 'I Am The Greatest.'"
- 1993 Interview
Definitions and References:
1. The self, especially as distinct from the world and other selves.
2. In psychoanalysis, the division of the psyche that is conscious, most immediately controls thought and behavior, and is most in touch with external reality.